Thursday 19 July 2007

At the Limit

Yesterday I had an appointment with my GP, and she has signed me off for at least one week due to stress and anxiety. Having recieved a letter from my GP, I then went to see the Head of Year as I wasn't entirely sure what I should do next. She was very nice and asked why I'd been signed off. Her response was "oh dear. Is there anything we can do to support you?"

Typical.

I've spent the last year at least trying to get some support from various tutors at the University, and they've all palmed me off onto the University Counselling Service - fat lot of good they were. I went to them for tools to manage my stress and anxiety, but all I learnt was that I am resentful of my younger sister, hence why I used to trap her underneath her duvet when she was little which has now resulted in her being claustrophobic. From what I remember, it was just a game that went a little too far, and we're actually quite close. So not much help then!

My Head of Year then asked if I was on the BSc pathway, and when she learnt that I was, a look of understanding flooded through her face. It would appear that many of us on the BSc pathway are struggling with the workload. She did ask whether leaving the BSc and simply doing the Diploma would be a sensible move for me which again, was a bit of a joke. I had a discussion with the Lead Tutors of the BSc a few months ago. I explained that I struggled with anxiety and didn't feel continuing on the BSc pathway would be helpful. Their reply was "but do you want to be just a diploma nurse? You won't be able to get into Nurse Management without a degree". Ouch.

Anyway, rant over. I'm now spending my seven days off working on assignments, exercising and having some relaxation time. Hopefully things will improve. I just find it really irritating that it had to get to this point. Grrrr!

No comments: