Wednesday 20 June 2007

Separating the Wheat from the Chaff

Arrrggghhh!

Today I feel completely uninspired with nursing. I have five assignments to do:

- A 4000 word literature review which is fine, although my tutor seems to have disappeared from the face of the planet. Helpful.

- Three assignments which are all fairly good, but they can't be started until I begin my next placement. That means on top of completing 60-odd placement competencies I have these flippin' assignments to do!

- An exciting poster presentation plus supporting assignment as I missed a placement at the beginning of this year due to surgery. This is the work to go with the placement, and I can't go through to the third year until I complete it. It would have been helpful to know this back in January. What good is it telling me three months before the end of the year?! At the time of writing, I am currently waiting to be given an assessment date.

The work is fine and I have no problem with doing it. What I do have a problem with is the lack of support from the tutors. They just don't seem interested. Trying to arrange a tutorial is like banging your head against a brick wall!

Regardless of all the trials and tribulations that go with this course, I do enjoy it and look forward to becoming a registered nurse. I don't think the path to registration should be easy, but I do think we should be better supported. So many people have left our cohort due to all sorts of reasons; finance and lack of support being big ones. Perhaps this is the University's/NHS's way of separating the wheat from the chaff. Problem is, it seems to be the "wheat" who are leaving...

I used to have a fantastic job at John Lewis; great hours, great pay and a very good discount. I could buy Radley bags at a great price! Instead, I have chosen to sacrifice myself on the alter of the nation's health.

I think I'd rather have a new Radley bag :)

No comments: