Friday 15 June 2007

The Curse of the Drunkard

What is it with me? Do I have some kind of aura that specifically attracts inebriated, middle-aged men? Since starting my nurse training I have encountered more worryingly drunk men than I care to remember. I always seem to find them alone, often by the side of the road or in some other place which could prove dangerous, and when I least expect it. Today was no exception.

Whilst waiting at the station for a train, I noticed a gentleman "wobbling" around on the platform. He held himself up against the wall and looked as if he was struggling to breath. Not something I like to see, particularly as my mind heads straight for cardiac/respiratory arrest! A few people looked at him for a while and then walked on. I felt that as a responsible student nurse (and as I had about half an hour to wait until my train was due to arrive) I thought I'd better make sure he was ok.

Of course, other than being intoxicated, the gentleman was fine. Whilst breathing his alcohol-fuelled breath in my face, he explained that he was on his way to Manchester. He told me a great deal about his time in the army, had the sheer ordacity to drink some of my cappuccino in an attempt to sober up (which he then spat out - what a waste!) and explained again that he was on his way to Manchester. He then grabbed me and kissed me on the forehead, all while trying not to fall smack-bang into a brick wall. Oh, and did I know that he was on his way to Manchester?

What should one do upon finding a person in such a state? The last drunken gentleman I found (apparently christened "Shauny-Boy") was trying to jump in front of the traffic so I had no option but to dial 999 for some muscular assistance! But if I was working in A&E, what would I do with some drunk bloke bought in simply because there wasn't anywhere else to take him? Sedate him and hook him up to some fluids? Go off shift?! Answers on a postcard...

No comments: