Monday 12 November 2007

Semester 5 Placements

Following an interesting lecture on Perioperative Care, many of us rushed home today to see if the postman had delivered the details of our next placements. There, in my mailbox, was the brown A5 envelope from the University, the contained information mapping out the next six months of my nursing life. As I ripped open the envelope, I thought of all the places I might end up; the Burns Unit, Oncology, Theatres...

But no.

I get sent to Eye Casualty and Trauma & Orthopaedics. Six months of conjunctivitis and hip replacements.

Ok, so I'm being somewhat cynical. I would be fibbing if I said I wasn't disappointed with my placements, but I'm sure these will both be enjoyable. I don't have a great deal of interest in ophthalmology, emergency or otherwise, although as I learn more about it I'm sure I'll begin to enjoy it. T&O is one of those departments where a lot happens - RTA patients and the likes - and there are a wide range of departments I can attend for Insight Visits, but I've worked in this area before. However, I'm going to look on the bright side and not be too envious of whoever landed the Burns Unit for their placement.

So, be mindful that from January to April 2008, I shall be discussing muppets who have managed to poke themselves in the eye, and grown men falling out of trees...

No comments: